Hospital of St John the Baptist, Ripon, North Yorkshire

Hospital of St John the Baptist, Ripon, North Yorkshire
Photograph taken 10 August 2001 © Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive ref: 330010

These almshouses were built in 1878. They replaced an earlier almshouse. The original Hospital of St John the Baptist was founded by Archbishop Thomas II in 1109-14 for the poor.

Location

North Yorkshire Ripon

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

almshouse poor charity philanthropy Victorian (1837 - 1901)