House Mill, West Ham, Greater London
House Mill dates back to 1776 and stands on Three Mills Island. Mills were recorded along the River Lea in the Domesday Book. There were mills on this site belonging to the Abbey of Stratford Langthorne until the Reformation. The mills have had many different uses. They were originally flour mills. They were bought by Huguenots in 1727 and used for distilling gin as well. They were powered by the tide going in and out. By the early 19th century they had 7 waterwheels and drove 18 pairs of millstones. House Mill was last used in the 1940s. It later became a museum and information centre for the River Lea Tidal Mill Trust. All the buildings were restored in the 1990s and much of the site was converted into film studios.