Inner Gatehouse & Moat, Portchester Castle, Portchester, Hampshire
This gatehouse and moat were the entrance to the inner bailey and keep at Portchester Castle. They were designed to stop invaders entering the inner most part of the castle. The gatehouse shows several different phases of development where it was added on to over the centuries. It included a drawbridge, portculisand other defensive features. Portchester Castle was originally built as a shore fort in the late Roman period. This fort was called "Portus Adurni". It was reused in the Saxon period as a settlement. In the late 11th century a Norman tower keep castle was built within the shore fort walls by a William Mauduit. In 1130 the castle was acquired by a William Pont de l'Arche. After major works in 1320-26, the buildings on the west of the inner bailey became a self-contained palace. This palace was rebuilt by Richard II in 1396-99. By 1441 the castle was considered ruinous. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2012). Find out more.