Kennington Gate, South Lambeth, Greater London
A toll gate stood at the intersection of Kennington Park and Camberwell New Road. The toll was abolished on 18th November 1865. Tolls were originally collected by the Turnpike Trusts set up in the 18th century to improve roads. Toll houses like this were built on the edges of towns and many still stand today.