Kenwood House, Hampstead, Greater London
This watercolour has the caption 'Caen Wood, Lord Mansfields'. It was painted in 1850 by the artist C H Matthews. Kenwood House is a detached villa that was built in around 1616. The original brick house was remodelled in 1749 for John, 3rd Earl of Bute. It was then acquired by, William Murray, the first Earl of Mansfield in 1754 and remodelled as a holiday retreat by the architect John Adam. As the chief justice Lord Mansfield was called upon to decide the fate of slaves in the landmark Somerset Case of 1772 and had an important role in the abolition of slavery. Kenwood house became a permanent residence in 1780. The brewing magnate Edward Cecil Guinness, first Earl of Iveagh, bought the house in 1925 and bequeathed it and his considerable art collection to the nation in 1927. These include paintings by Rembrandt, Turner and Reynolds. The house is now in the care of English Heritage (2011). Find out more.