Labourers' Dwellings, Bevington Street, Liverpool, Merseyside
From 1895 Liverpool began to demolish slum housing and provide the people living there with council built homes to rent. These council houses, in the Vauxhall area, were opened in June, 1912. They were known as Eldon Grove Labourers' (workers) Dwellings. The three storey, rectangular block is built in a Tudor cottage style, dominated by 3 timber framed gables. The accommodation was in flats. The ground floor ones were entered off a railed walkway. The upper floor flats were reached by open stairwells with arched entrances leading to first and second floor balconies which stretch between the gabled bays. This building was the West Block and was one of a group of three blocks, identical in design. Although derelict when photographed there were plans in 2008 to convert them into modern apartments.