Lace and shawl factory, Beeston, Nottinghamshire
This building was part of a lace and shawl factory including the printing room, waiting room and gateway. It was built in stages from 1886-1893. It was built by J. Huckerby for F. Wilkinson. Francis (or "Frank") Wilkinson (1846-1897) pioneered the making of shawls on machines. The shawl trade had already been established for around 20 years when he moved here. However his fine textiles won such a reputation for novelty and elegance that he was able to prosper in Britain and overseas.