Lace and shawl warehouse, Wollaton Road, Beeston, Nottinghamshire
This lace and shawl factory warehouse was built in 1892. It was built by J Huckerby for F Wilkinson. Francis (or "Frank") Wilkinson (1846-1897) pioneered the making of shawls on machines. The shawl trade had already been established for around 20 years when he moved here. However his fine textiles won such a reputation for novelty and elegance that he was able to prosper in Britain and overseas.