Langford Pumping Station, Hatfield Road, Langford, Essex
The water storage tanks at the Water Board pumping station at Langford, Essex. The original Water Works was built in 1927 and officially opened in September 1929. It was designed to provide a daily supply of seven million gallons of drinking water and this, together with the existing wells, was expected to meet anticipated demand for many years ahead. This image shows the new works that were completed in 1970 at a cost of £1.5m and officially opened on 30th June 1970. The new Langford plant had a maximum capacity of twelve million gallons per day. The pumping station is now a museum (2013).