Longmoor Point, Alton East, Wandsworth, Greater London
Longmoor Point is one of 10 blocks of flats known as 'the Points'. They are part of the Alton East housing development built in 1951- 52 and designed by the London County Council Architect's Department Housing Division. They were based on a reinforced concrete frame put up on site and clad in grey brickwork to reflect local house styles. They were the first public housing in Britain to have mechanically ventilated lavatories and bathrooms and the first high housing to be centrally heated. The blocks each had different patterned tilework at the entrance so they could be told apart. The rest of the development is a mixture of terraces of houses and maisonettes. They were set informally on a hillside among plants from the gardens of the Victorian houses previously on the site. Shops and a school were included in the development which was planned as a neighbourhood for 9,500 people.