Ludgershall Castle, Ludgershall, Wiltshire
This aerial reconstruction by Peter Dunn shows the castle in the late 14th century. Henry III inherited the castle from his father King John. He was an enthusiastic builder and evidently fond of Ludgershall. He visited at least 21 times and made many additions and improvements to the castle between 1234 and 1251. The main feature of Henry's building works was a new great hall, built in 1244. This elaborately decorated hall was the public meeting area of the castle and was used by the King for dining and entertaining. This property is in the care of English Heritage (2011). Read more.