Market Cross, Lavenham, Suffolk

Built in 1502 by a wealthy clothier, William Jacob. The stepped base is original but the octagonal shaft with capital carved with fleur-de-lys was added in 1725. The market held on this site was licensed by the crown in 1257 and continued until its decline in the 18th century.


Suffolk Lavenham


Tudor (1485 - 1602)


memorial cross market commerce wealth Tudor (1485 - 1602)