Milepost, Thelwall, Warrington

Milepost, Thelwall, Warrington
Photograph taken 19 November 2002 © Ms Catherine M. Lees. Source Historic England Archive ref: 59031

A milepost of the former turnpike from Warrington to Altrincham that was opened in 1821. The Turnpike Act was passed in 1663 and the first Turnpike Trust was set up in 1706 - to collect fees to pay for the repair and maintenance of roads

Location

Warrington Thelwall

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

milepost transport sign Georgian (1714 - 1836)