Miners and Mechanics Institute, St Agnes, Cornwall

Miners and Mechanics Institute, St Agnes, Cornwall
Photograph taken 14 July 2002 © Historic England Archive/Mr Michael McCloy ref: 63872

Built in 1893 this is one of 4 institutes in Cornwall donated by J. Passmore Edwards. Institues such as this were often set up by well meaning Victorian benefactors. They provided working people with libraries and rooms for meetings and lectures.

Location

Cornwall St Agnes

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Themes

Tags

victorian building education leisure working class institute