Miss Pears' Almshouses, Peterborough, Peterborough

Miss Pears' Almshouses, Peterborough, Peterborough
Photograph taken 30 June 2001 © Mr JM Webber ARPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 49614

These almshouses were built in 1903. They were paid for by Frances Pears, the daughter of a draper. In her will of 1901 she left £5,000 for the rebuilding of the earlier almshouse on the site. These were built on the site of the old House of Correction (workhouse).

Location

Peterborough Peterborough

Period

Edwardian (1902 - 1913)

Tags

almshouse workhouse poor social welfare charity philanthropy Edwardian (1902 - 1913)