Municipal Baths, Henry Square, Ashton Under Lyne, Greater Manchester
This cutting from the Builder magazine shows an illustration of the interior of Ashton-Under-Lyne public baths. The Municipal Baths were opened in 1870 thanks to a £16,000 donation by the mill owner, socialist reformer and local MP Hugh Mason. They were designed in a Byzantine style. They were one of the first, and one of the largest, public swimming baths. Between November and March each year a wooden floor was put over the main pool. It was then used as a skating rink and concert hall. The baths were closed in 1997 and are now (2013) on the Heritage at Risk Register.
LocationGreater Manchester Ashton Under Lyne
PeriodVictorian (1837 - 1901)
Tagsconservation preservation philanthropy bath sanitation swimming welfare hygiene leisure design architecture victorian (1837 - 1901)
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.