Municipal Buildings, Church Square, Hartlepool
The Municipal Buildings were designed in 1886-89 by R. Knill Freeman. They are built from smooth red brick with ornamental terracotta decoration and plain clay tiled roofs in A Renaissance style. In 1801, Hartlepool had a population of about a thousand people. West Hartlepool did not yet exist. By 1881, Hartlepool had 12,000 people and West Hartlepool had 31,000. In 1889 the new Municipal Buildings were opened by his Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor of Wales. The royal visit was celebrated with a large procession.