Museum And Art Gallery, New Walk, City Of Leicester

Museum And Art Gallery, New Walk, City Of Leicester
Photograph taken 1905 © Historic England Archive ref: op23156

Three girls standing by the portico outside the front entrance of Leicester Museum. The cannon was one of a pair that stood outside the museum. They were brought over from the Crimea after the end of the Crimean War. They now (2013)stand inside the Newarke Museum grounds. Local tradition holds that one is still loaded! New Walk Museum & Art Gallery originated in 1849 when the Literary and Philosophical Society formally presented its various collections to the town.

Location

Leicester Leicester

Period

Edwardian (1902 - 1913)

Tags

museum street girl cannon leisure