Museum, Wharf Street, Newbury, West Berkshire

Museum, Wharf Street, Newbury, West Berkshire
Photograph taken 31 October 1999 © Mr James A Irving. Source Historic England Archive ref: 396435

The Cloth Hall was built in 1626-27 for the Newbury Corporation for use as a cloth factory. By 1659 it was used as a workhouse. From 1706 -22 part of the building was a Blue Coat School. It was restored in 1897 and converted for use as a museum in 1902 - 4.

Location

West Berkshire Newbury

Period

Stuart (1603 - 1713)

Tags

workhouse welfare school education factory textile museum stuart (1603 - 1713)