Nympsfield Long Barrow, Nympsfield, Gloucestershire
Nympsfield long barrow is a Neolithic chambered long barrow. The mound is oval and measures c30 metres in length. The entrance is defined by two standing stones. Beyond this is the gallery or passage, now unroofed, which leads into two side chambers and an end chamber. Excavations at the site were carried out by Professor J. Buckman in 1862, by Mrs E. M. Clifford in 1937 and A. Saville in 1974. They uncovered Neolithic pottery, a leaf-shaped arrowhead and the remains of a large number of human skeletons. The soil found blocking the entrance to the gallery included later Neolithic pottery, indicating that it was sealed at this date. The site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Read detailed archaeological description.