Ostrich Inn, High Street, Colnbrook, Slough
The High Street showing the Ostrich Free House and a shop with a man posed in the doorway. The timber framed buildings date from the Tudor period. Colnbrook is mentioned in William the Conqueror's Domesday Book. It stands on on the Colne Brook; a tributary to the River Colne. Coaching inns were the village's main industry. In 1106 the first one was founded by Milo Crispin, named the Hospice. It was later called the Ostrich Inn and is reputed to be the third oldest in England. By 1577 Colnbrook had ten coaching inns. Colnbrook's High Street was on the main London to Bath road. A side road led to Windsor. The town was used as a resting point for travellers.