Penny's Almshouses, King Street, Lancaster, Lancashire
These 12 almshouse were founded in 1720 by William Penny. They were built by the executors of his will. They have the inscription "FORGET NOT/ THE CONGREGATION /OF THY POOR". William Penny (1646 - 1716) occupied various positions on the Town Council and was three times Mayor of Lancaster. When King Street was widened in the early 20th century the two almshouses nearest the road were demolished, the screen wall rebuilt in its present position, the chapel shortened, and two new almshouses built next to the chapel.