Penrith Castle, Penrith, Cumbria

Penrith Castle, Penrith, Cumbria
© Dr Judith A Heyworth LRPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 72957

This site includes the ruins of the 15th century Penrith Castle together with a 14th century pele tower. In 1397 William Strickland obtained a licence to strengthen and crenellate his pele tower. Two years later a further licence was granted to build the barmkin (barbican). In the early 15th century Richard II gave the town and manor of Penrith to Ralph Neville, Earl of Westmorland. He added the Red Tower and began construction of the internal buildings in stone. In 1471 Richard, Duke of Gloucester added a large outer gateway turning the structure into a royal castle. The moat was added in the late 15th century. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Find out more

Location

Cumbria Penrith

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

castle defence tower medieval (1066 - 1484) english heritage