Picton Reading Room, William Brown Street, Liverpool, Merseyside

Picton Reading Room, William Brown Street, Liverpool, Merseyside
Photograph taken 1895 © Crown Copyright.NMR ref: CC79_00484

A general view of people outside the Picton Reading Room on William Brown Street. It was built in 1875-79 by Cornelius Sherlock as an extension to the existing Museum and Library. It is named after Sir James Picton, chairman of the Libraries and Museums Committee who laid its foundation stone.

Location

Merseyside Liverpool

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

library welfare people street