Poplars Hall, Brentwood, Essex
The building was originally the boy's dining hall at Hutton Residential School. It was built in in 1906 by the architects Holman and Goodram. It was part of a very large complex comprising twin schools for boys and girls. It was conceived as a residential village for deprived children from east London. The leading guardian was George Lansbury, a social reformer. For the children at Hutton Poplars school his policy was that they should have 'decent treatment and hang the rates'. The hall was restored in 1990-1 and now is a reception hall.