Precinct Wall of St Mary's Abbey, Museum Gardens, York
These are the remains of the defensive precinct wall of St Mary's Abbey. Over 500m of wall and several towers remain. The walls were built in 1266, then raised, crenellated and extended in 1318. St Mary's Tower and Water Tower were built in 1324. Queen Margaret's Arch and Postern Tower were built in 1497. The Postern Tower was raised and altered in the 17th century. St Mary's Tower was repaired in 1644 following Civil War damage. Pedestrian arches were added beside Queen Margaret's Arch and the Water Tower in c1836.