Priory church, Castle Acre Priory, Castle Acre, Norfolk
A view looking westwards down the nave of the church towards the west window and west tower. Castle Acre Priory was a Cluniac Monastery founded in 1090 and much of the remaining ruins date from this period. The priory was dissolved by King Henry VIII in 1537 and granted to Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk. By 1558 the buildings were being demolished. The prior's lodgings were retained for use as a house. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).