Priory Church of St Andrew, Hexham, Northumberland
This was originally the site of a monastic church. It was built in 674 by St Wilfrid. It was a cathedral from 678 to 821. It was destroyed by the Vikings in 875. It was then refounded as a Priory in 1113 for Augustinian canons. It was dissolved in 1537. Excavations 1984-93 have located the early monastic complex beneath the nave of the present abbey church.