Promenade Hospital, Promenade, Southport, Merseyside
This building was originally called the Southport Convalescent Hospital and Sea Bathing Infirmary. It provided sea air and bathing in order to aid the recovery of the sick. It was built in 1852-53, by Thomas Withnell, for the Southport Strangers' Charity. This charity had been founded in 1806 for the relief of poor convalescents (particularly those from the crowded manufacturing districts). During the Second World War the hospital was used as an 'emergency hospital' to treat military patients and also civilian patients injured in Liverpool.