Pumping Engine House, Oldbury, West Midlands

Pumping Engine House, Oldbury, West Midlands
Photograph taken 15 August 1999 © Mr J J Sheridan LRPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 219235

This Pumping Engine house was built shortly after Oldbury Locks were opened in 1837. The engine house originally contained two beam engines and four boilers to recirculate water from the Wolverhampton level back to the Titford Canal. They operated at 11 strokes a minute and lifted five million gallons a day.

Location

West Midlands Oldbury

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

engine canal lock water transport Victorian (1837 - 1901)