Reconstruction Drawing of Waverley Abbey, Farnham, Surrey
"Waverley Abbey was a Cistercian monastery and was founded by William Gifford, Bishop of Winchester, in 1128. In 1536, with the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the site passed to Sir William Fitzherbert, treasurer of the king’s household. Much of the abbey was dismantled. This aerial reconstruction of the site was drawn by Ivan Lapper. It shows the abbey church in the foreground. Waverley followed the traditional plan of a Cistercian abbey. It featured a large church, almost 91 metres (300 feet) in length. To the south was the chapter house, where the monks would gather daily to have a chapter of the rule of the order read to them and to discuss business. Further south was the monks’ dormitory. The refectory and latrine block lay south of the cloister and the lay brothers’ accommodation was situated to the west. The property is now in the care of English Heritage (2011) "