Richmond Castle, Richmond, North Yorkshire
An aerial view reconstruction drawing of the castle as it could have looked around 1100, by Terry Ball. The castle was probably built in the 1070s by Alan Rufus to defend his estates against Anglo-Saxon nobles who had lost their land and power. It was an enclosure castle. It was originally triangular in shape with a massive stone wall on two sides. The third side was protected by the drop to the River Swale and possibly a timber palisade. The eastern wall was covered by three projecting towers. The village is inside the bailey of the castle. The castle keep was built later in the 12th century. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2012).