Ropery and Spinning Room, Anchor Wharf, Chatham, Medway
The building is over 1,100 feet long and dates from 1785 -91. The rope was made by twisting the strands together on a machine mounted on a wheeled carriage, which ran back down the building. In 1836 a Boulton and Watt beam engine was used to power the machinery. The attic was used for training apprentices and the basement for storing tar.