Ropner Park, Stockton On Tees, Cleveland

Ropner Park, Stockton On Tees, Cleveland
Photograph taken 1900 - 1940 © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: PC08898

The park was officially opened by the Duke and Duchess of York in 1893. It included three lodges, a cast-iron fountain, a bandstand, a recreation ground, a bowling green, a tennis lawn, gymnasia for boys and girls, a lake and terrace walks. It is called Ropner Park because Major (later Sir) Robert Ropner of Preston Hall paid for the land on which it was built.