Russian Memorial, Abinger Place, Lewes, East Sussex
This neo-gothic styled memorial was designed in 1877 by John Strong. The memorial commemorates the Russian soldiers who died while in prison in Lewes at the time of the Crimean War. One panel reads 'Sacred/to the Memory of/the Russian Soldiers/who died Prisoners/of War in Lewes/in the years/ 1854/ 1855 1856'. The other panel reads 'RAISED/by the order of/His Majesty/ the Emperor of/RUSSIA/Alexander II/1877. THE MEMORIAL/was restored by the/ Embassy of the USSR/1957/At the instance of the/Friends of Lewes/Society'.