Shaddon Mill, Junction Street, Carlisle, Cumbria
This cotton factory was built for Peter Dixon by Richard Tattersall. The cast iron framed building and its machinery were designed by William Fairburn. It was originally known as Dixon's Mills. The mills were the largest cotton mills in England when they were built in 1835-1836 and had the tallest chimney at over 300 feet high. After being struck by lightening in 1931 the chimney was reduced to around 270 feet high. The building has since been used as industrial units and apartments.