Sherborne Abbey, Sherborne, Dorset
A view of the south porch and the nave. A minster was established in Sherborne in 705. The minster became a Benedictine Abbey in 1172. The original church was created in 1122. In 1152 there were 50 monks at Serborne. Much of the Norman church was destroyed by fire in 1437 after a riot between monks and parishoners. In 1539, at the dissolution, only the abbot and 14 monks were noted. After the dissolution the buildings were granted to Sir John Horsey. He sold the abbey church to the townspeople in 1540. He sold the eastern chapels to the hospital. The hospital sold them to the school in 1560. Two young men in boaters, possibly pupils of the adjoining Sherborne School, stand outside the south porch.