Sir Moses Montefiore Synagogue, Heneage Road, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire
This synagogue was built in 1885-8. The foundation stone was laid by F D Mocatta of London, July 22nd 1885. This is the only Victorian synagogue in Lincolnshire and South Humberside, and one of few of this period in the country to survive so intact. Together with its accompanying bath house this synagogue reflects the former significance of Grimsby's Jewish community and the town's prominence in the movement of Jews from Eastern Europe to Britain and America. In the late 19th century Grimsby was the third largest centre (after London and Hull) for Jewish immigration, with over 100,000 landing here in the peak years between 1881 and 1914.