Southwick, Shoreham By Sea, West Sussex
The Great Naval 'Mystery' Tower was built during the First World War to defend the country against German U-Boats. According to notes on the back of the photograph the plan was to use a line of them (8 in all) to form a boom across the Straits of Dover. Only one tower was completed; just before the end of the war. They were therefore not needed for their original purpose. The incomplete tower in the background was dismantled. In 1920 the completed tower was towed by two paddle wheel tugs to the Isle of Wight. It was sunk over the Nab rocks to become the Nab Tower lighthouse. It is still working in 2014. It is a well known landmark for sailors as it marks the deep water eastern entry into the Solent.