St Anne's Hospital, Ripon, North Yorkshire
These are the remains of the mediaeval St Anne's Hospital. They are part of the hospital chapel. The date it was founded is unknown. However the street it is on was referred to as "Annesgate" in 1228. The earliest reference to the Hospital itself is in 1438, but from the architectural evidence it is clearly older. Tradition states that it was founded by one of the Neville family. It was paid for by alms alone, at least until the earliest recorded endowment in 1680. It was used to house and support 8 poor widows.