St Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury, Kent
A view looking west along the nave of the abbey church with the crypt of Abbot Wulfric's rotunda (built in circa 1050) in the foreground. A monastery was founded on this site in 598 by St Augustine who was sent by Pope Gregory to convert the English. Systematic destruction of the Abbey after the Dissolution began in 1541. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).