St Ethelbert's Hospital, Castle Street, Hereford, Herefordshire

These almshouses were founded in 1225 by a Canon Elyas. They were to provide a home for ten old and poor people. They were then rebuilt in 1805. By this time they housed ten elderly women who were required to attend morning and evening services at the Cathedral. They were given short capes and caps in which to attend the Cathedral where they had their own pew. Each received a loaf of bread a day and a penny on Sundays.


Herefordshire Hereford


Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)


almshouse poor charity philanthropy Georgian (1714 - 1836) Medieval (1066 - 1484)