St George's Buildings, Westminster, Greater London
This block of flats is in Bourdon Street which is part of the Grosvenor Estate that was originally laid out in the 1770s. The flats were designed for artisans (skilled workers) and were built by Victorian people who aimed to improve conditions for the working classes. This block is an early example of this type of 'Philanthropic' housing dating from 1853. Other similar blocks were built in different parts of London. These flats were planned by Henry Roberts and built for the St George's Parochial Association that had been founded in 1849. The flats were built from stock brick with a flat roof. They originally had 4 storeys and a basement. The top floor was added in 1876.