St John's Abbey Gatehouse, Colchester, Essex
This gatehouse is the only building that remains of the Abbey of St John the Baptist. A Benedictine abbey was founded here in 1096-7. The gatehouse was built in the late 15th century. The abbey was dissolved by King Henry VIII in 1539 and in 1544 it passed to Sir Thomas Darcy. The back part of the gatehouse was rebuilt in the 17th century after damage during the Siege of 1648, during the Civil War. This property is now in the care of English Heritage (2010) and managed by Colchester Borough Council. Find out more.