St Margaret's Leper Hospital, Taunton, Somerset

St Margaret's Leper Hospital, Taunton, Somerset
Photograph taken 22 April 2003 © Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive ref: 269752

The hospital of the Holy Ghost and St. Margaret, was founded for lepers in 1185. It was rebuilt in the early 1500s and converted into almshouses in 1612. The almshouses continued in use until 1938.

Location

Somerset Taunton

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

hospital leper religion social welfare Medieval (1066 - 1484)