St Mary's Church, Kempley, Gloucestershire

St Mary's Church, Kempley, Gloucestershire
Photograph taken 01 October 2010 © Historic England Archive Photo Library ref: N100451

It was probably Hugh de Lacy who built Kempley church in the 12th century. It is believed that he commissioned the paintings on the walls of the chancel as a memorial to his father, Walter de Lacy. The subject of the paintings seems to be the Last Judgement. Christ sits upon a rainbow, adored by winged angels (seraphim). On either side of him stand the twelve apostles, with the Virgin Mary and St Peter. In the 16th century images in churches had to be removed following the Reformation and the paintings were covered over with whitewash. They were rediscovered in the 20th century and have now been cleaned and conserved. This property is in the care of English Heritage (2011) and managed by the Friends of Kempley Church.

Location

Gloucestershire Kempley

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

english heritage church religion faith norman interior art painting