The Bar, Richmond, North Yorkshire
This arch is part of the original town wall. The Medieval town wall of Richmond was built in c1312. It replaced an earlier earthen bank. There were three main entrances through the wall; a Bar in Finkle Street, a Bar in French Gate Street and a Bar or Gate at the head of Cornforth Hill (this one). The other two were removed in 1773, to make way for vehicles.