The Bridewell, Norwich Road, Wymondham, Norfolk

The Bridewell, Norwich Road, Wymondham, Norfolk
Photograph taken 29 September 2002 © Mr Peter Smee LRPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 386198

This building was built in 1787 as a prison and magistrates' court. According to Wymondham Heritage Museum in 1779 a leading prison reformer, John Howard, visited Wymondham Bridewell. This was during a national tour of English prisons. He described it as ‘one of the vilest prisons in England’.

Location