The Brighton Pavilion, Old Steine, Brighton, Brighton and Hove
The Royal Pavilion was built for the Prince of Wales, later known as the Prince Regent, between 1762 and 1830. He first came to Brighton in 1783. In 1786 he took the lease on a farmhouse built in the 1770s and owned by Thomas Kemp. This building was gradually adapted to become the Pavilion. Many of the buildings are inspired by Eastern architecture with features such as domes and minarets.