The Cage, Church Street, Buntingford, Hertfordshire

The Cage, Church Street, Buntingford, Hertfordshire
Photograph taken 21 May 2002 © Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive ref: 159739

This building was the town lockup. It was built in the early 1700s. Before a national system of policing was set up many villages had their own lockup. Criminals (often drunks, petty thieves and those starting fights) were held for a short time. They were then either released or sent to a larger town for trial. They were often built as part of a complex including the village pound, stocks and pillory. They date back to around the 1560s. Generally the lockup was used by the parish constable who had the unpaid job of keeping law and order in his own parish.

Location

Hertfordshire Buntingford

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

crime punishment prison jail georgian (1714 - 1836)